About Me

My photo
We met in high school, dated after graduation, fell in love freshman year of college and got married in January 2009. We fall more in love every day.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bubble Beanie

In 2012 I learned to crochet--I picked it up really easily and it has been a great hobby to have. I learned on youtube and I am not entirely convinced I do everything "correctly"...I actually am pretty sure I crochet backwards?? Oh well, it gets the job done! I like crocheting because it gives me something to do to pass the time when K is on overnight trips and after Lainey has gone to bed. I picked up the hobby to make my own photography props but have taken a few orders from people. I buy patterns, find free patterns but I also experiment a lot with making my own creations or replicating something I see but can't find a pattern for. Yesterday I was playing around and came up with a technique for a hat that I ended up really enjoying.

I am going to attempt to write a tutorial (hopefully I will not step on anyone's toes doing this---I haven't seen a pattern for this hat)-- I am not a pattern writer. I have only made this hat in newborn size. I also tend to crochet pretty tightly.

I used a size K hook and regular worsted weight yarn.
Gauge 4 HDC= 1 inch
Pattern is worked in rounds and is not joined together; use stitch marker if necessary 

Newborn Bubble Beanie
To Start: Chain 2-- 6 HDC in second chain
Round 1: 2 HDC in each stitch (12 HDC)
Round 2:  *1 HDC in first stitch, 2 HDC in second stitch.* Repeat from * to *  until the beginning of round. (18HDC)
Round 3:  *1 HDC in the first 2 stitches, 2 HDC in third stitch.*  Repeat from * to * until the beginning of round.(24 HDC)
Round 4:  *1 HDC in first 3 stitches, 2 HDC in 4th stitch.* Repeat from * to * until the beginning of round. (30HDC)
Round 5: *1 HDC in first 4 stitches, 2 HDC in 5th stitch*  Repeat from * to * until the beginning of round. (36 HDC) 

This is where I stopped to make a newborn size hat. If you want to increase the size, continue with a similar increase pattern. Your next round would have 42 stitches, 48, 54, 60, etc. To figure out how big to make your base simple take the diameter and multiple it by pi (3.14). Mine was slightly over 4 inches. 4 x .3.14 = 12.56. This hat has plenty of stretch. 

After you reach desired size:
Round 6:  In first HDC *SC, DC, DC skip 2 stitches* Repeat from * to * until the beginning to the round 
Round 7:  In first SC *SC, DC, DC* skip to next SC and repeat * to * until the beginning of round.

Repeat Round 8 until desired height. 
Ending round:  Chain one. SC around. Join to the beginning stitch and fasten off. 

Follow more of my crochet projects here: https://www.facebook.com/totallytangledcrochet

You may sell items made from this tutorial, but please credit me and link back to this blog. 

The shamrock pattern was found here: http://sarahndipities.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-tuesday-crocheted-shamrock.html






No comments:

Post a Comment